God's Word for Today

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bucket List

If you have seen the movie The Bucket List then you know where the idea come from. We have all done it at one point in our lives. We begin to think and dream about all the tings that we have done in our lives and think about all the things that we would hope to do in the future. In my last Wednesday Hodgepodge the first question was:

1. What is one thing on your bucket list? If you don't have a bucket list let's pretend you do.

I began to think of all the wonderful places and things I hope to do one day.

  • Experience the Northern Lights
  • Walk on the Great Wall of China
  • Visit the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam
  • Visit the Holy Land
  • Go to Rome, Paris, England, New Zealand, Spain, Australia, Ireland, Easter Island, Bali, Tahiti…
  • Participate in a CIA Boot Camp and Cooking Vacation
  • A fall tour of the east coast and New England
  • Visit the Smithsonian
  • Win the lottery so I can afford to do all these amazing things….

After I hit the post button this question stayed in my head for most of the day. I thought about all the places and the sights that were on my list and they all had one thing in common.

They were all destinations and they all were expensive, as far as actually checking them off my list.

I thought about the move The Bucket List, if you have not seen it, it is a very good movie. The two main character come together in a hospital room during their cancer treatments and they strike up a friendship. One evening one Carter (Morgan Freeman’s character) begin to make a list and then get’s discouraged by his situation and tears off the list from his pad and tosses it in the trash. Edward (Jack Nicholson’s character) find the list and convinces Carter that they should seize the day, he begins to add to the list and the story take off from there. Now in the movie Edward had wads of cash so jaunting off to the great wall of China poses no real problems for them and I guess one of the character had to be a millionaire or the movie just would not have worked.

However what I remembered from the movie was that not all of the things on the list required limitless supplies of cash. For example:

  • Help a complete stranger
  • Witness something majestic
  • Laugh until you cry

These things on the list that were more relationship driven or dealt with personal reflection or growth and also take note that they did not require endless supplies of cash.

Well since I do not have an endless supple of disposable income I thought about what I could put on my Bucket List: Part Two.

I think it was in last weeks Project 365 that Sara posted pictures of her sushi party. How fun would that be.

So I begin my Bucket List: Part Two with this…

  1. Learn to make Sushi

As I dream of taking a stroll down the Great Wall of China or dining under the Eifel Tower in Paris I will also be thinking of those simpler things like:

2. working my way down the 100 greatest novels of all time

3. learning how to make orange marmalade

4. visiting the 100 plus waterfall in the North Georgia Mountains

Well I think that’s a good start for now.

I think a Bucket List should contain those really big dreams but it should also contain things that add to your life experience and make rich memories.

So what’s on your Bucket List: Part Two?

Blessings

R

3 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

i haven't dreamed in a while...your list is really good

Kim said...

Yes, it's easy to dream BIG but it's good to stop and think in more realistic terms. Don't want to miss the things we CAN do because we're so focused on those we CAN'T!

Check out youtube because I'd bet there's a number of "how to make sushi" videos. It's actually not that hard. The trick is making a nice sticky rice and having the ingredients all ready so you can just go to it :) I looked online for a sticky rice recipe specifically for sushi. Not hard, just a little different preparation than regular rice. Have fun!!!

Holly said...

What an inspiring article. I agree with your Part II concept, and in fact, it’s going be part of our dinner table conversation tonight. Hmmm … what would my Part II be?

I have to say, I’m inclined to steal your 100 novels for my list. I bought a bookmark with the titles listed, and the thought has been rambling around my mind for a while now.

Many Blessings…

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter