God's Word for Today

Friday, February 25, 2011

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner & Flashback Friday

 

I saw this over at skoots1mom and I tried to get it to work but being a bit challenged in some areas of internet savvy-ness I was not able to get it to work. I did however get the numbers generated over at the random.org website and this is what they were.

True Random Number Generator

Min: 1

Max: 12

Result: 1

The first commenter was Bug over at Bug’s Eye View, congratulation to my wonderful blogging pal!

So y’all head over to her blog and give her your congratulations.

So Bug send me an email with your snail mail and I will get your prize out to you in the mail ASAP. I also need to know what flavor of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans you want. Click here to see a list of the flavors you can pick from, I need your first and second choice. As soon as I pick up your jelly beans I get your prize in the mail.

Thanks again for stopping by and for being a part of the blogging community.

Now on to my Flashback Friday, it’s all about the choppers.

But first I just could not resist. When I think of horrific dental experiences well the first thing that came to mind was this!  Y’all ever see this movie? Being the lover of all things musical this slightly odd and bizarre bit of musical entertainment is not for everyone but I have to admit it makes me giggle every time I watch it! 

 

 

I don't have much to add about many of the prompting questions but I do have one very fond memory of a dear friend.

Do you have any fond/funny//traumatic memories of old relatives or friends and their false teeth?

Several months ago one of my sweet Stephen Ministry friends passed away. He was a wonderful older gentleman who I had know since 1998. That was the first year we began Stephen Ministry at our church. We had 12 trainees to begin, not a coincidence I thought when you factor in the significance of the number 12, 12 disciple/12 new trainees…it made sense in a weird Holy Spirit directed kind of way.

In the very beginning with our numbers begin so small as well as our budget we did the best we could when it came down to team building exercises and retreat experiences. To get in the 50 hours of necessary training in a timely fashion we always had an extended session which usually would be held on some kind of retreat setting. The very first retreat we had a non existent shoe string budget. We camped out on the bottom floor of our church in the youth wing, the guys had the Sunday school classrooms on one end of the hall and the girls had the other end of the hall and we met in the youth lounge for our group sessions and fellowship time. Despite our rather rustic and spartan environment we managed to have a wonderful time.

After our official training session had ended we all gathered for an evening of fun and games. We pooled our resources so our snack table was overflowing with a wide assortment of salty and sweet treats. As the evening progressed those with the weaker constitution gave way to their need for sleep and hit their air mattress’ at their respective end of the hall.

Several of us remained round a table playing spoons.

Having lived a deprive life up until that point I can say that I had never played spoons before. To be perfectly honest I am not sue if I have ever played since, but I found the whole game fascinating. The concept of trying to snatch the spoon off the table before anyone else seem to be a skill that I simply could not master. Let’s just say I was the weak link where successful spoon playing was concerned. I will end my tooth story here for a bit to flesh out the dental tale just a bit further.

Any way we were a tight group in the very beginning. Aside from our regular fellowship opportunities we also had to gather twice a month for the required Stephan Ministry supervision. This is an opportunity to meet the needs of the care giver in the situation. The specific are never discussed, Stephen Ministry is completely confidential however during supervision we get to discuss any problems we may be having or feelings that we may be experiencing ourselves during the care giving process. I guess I share this to say that after many many, many years we had all come to know each other very well.

When my friend passed away, we were of course expecting it. His health had been poor for some time, but when I heard the news it just washed over me. Several of us began to weep during worship after our pastor shared the news with us. The funeral was schedule for later that afternoon and as a group we all decide that if possible we wanted to have as many of the original class in attendance as possible. As we were standing around crying and sharing our our memoires of our dear friend I leaned over to one of my oldest and dearest friends and said “You remember the time that….” and we all just burst into laughter as we wiped our tears away.

It makes me smile just thinking about it.

So there we are all sitting around the table playing spoons. One person kick off their shoes “Wow that feels good”

I return in my comfy fleecy sweats, “It’s good to get comfortable!”

Contact lenses came out and glasses were brought out, belt were loosened. We were getting comfortable.

Jim looks at all of us in our various stage of comfort and says with a big grin on his face “I got you all beat” and he pops his false teeth out and lays them down on the table.

We all about fell over right then and there in hysterics, but that was just our Jim.

God love him!

I miss him dearly, but when I read the prompt I just had to share my sweet memory of him.

For more Flashback Friday y’all head over to Mocha with Linda and link up!

Blessings

and have a great weekend!

5 comments:

The Bug said...

Woo hoo! I can't believe I won! Thanks for having a giveaway. I just clicked over to the Jelly Belly site & let me just say that it will take me quite a while to make any choices :)

Love your dental story - much more fun than what I would have shared, which is my very first dental visit during which a dentist scared the beans out of me. I was traumatized for life :)

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh I love it! Makes me laugh just imagining it. I don't know what my kids would do if they saw someone take out their teeth. I honestly don't think they ever had. I think they'd be horrified.

riTa Koch said...

The song was just too much!!! LOL
The story, great!

bp said...

What a great story! Have a great weekend

Kathleen said...

That's one thing among many about blogging that I so appreciate: We capture the good stuff forever.

The subject of dentures brings to mind Uncle Elmer. He was ALWAYS old to me (over a 30 year span he seemed to be & remain 90); and he had such a great sense of humor. As a little girl he'd love to click out his dentures and then click them back into place so fast it made me wonder if he'd even done such a thing. Needless to say, I'd giggle like crazy, and beg him to do it again, and again, and again. He always complied.

Praying I never have denture stories of my own :)

Kathleen

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter