God's Word for Today

Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Into Flavor – 15 Bean Soup

 

Joining Lid for this weeks installment of Fall Into Flavor.

I don't know about you but when the weather turns a bit chilly my thoughts turn to a big pot of soup on the stove.

I don't necessarily have a recipe for you today, I rarely make the same pot of soup twice. I am a chop and dump kind of girl but then soups are very forgiving.

The basics of making a really good 15 bean soup are very simple. All you need are a few basic ingredients and a really good sharp knife.

You need to start the night before you want to make the soup by soaking the beans in water overnight!

 IMG_0014

You will need 2 medium onions, some celery, a few cloves of garlic, a small bag of carrots and a nice, big, fat, meaty, delicious ham bone.

IMG_0015

Were chopping…..

IMG_0016

Like they say on all the cooking shows, use the green leafy part of the celery it really does give the pot of soup a lot of flavor.

IMG_0017

More chopping….

IMG_0018

Peel you carrots and your garlic…

IMG_0019

More chopping….

IMG_0020

Chicken stock…now if I were Ina Garten

I would be using my homemade chicken stock but since even Ina says it’s ok to use a canned broth or stock then in my book it’s OK. Plus who has time to make homemade chicken stock…Ina Garten’s production assistant that’s who.

IMG_0021 

Sauté you chopped veggies in oil until tender.

IMG_0024

Y’all check out this ham bone.

IMG_0025

There is a ton of meat on this. Skoots1mom clued me in on a tip. I went to the local Honey Baked Ham store and picked up a few ham bones to have in my freezer. I did not know they sold just the ham bone. You can bet for sure that it will be a regular stop for me from now on. I may not be able to afford a whole Honey Baked ham, but I can afford $6.11 for a ham bone!!!! I actually cut almost a pound of meat of to set aside to add to the soup just before serving.

After your beans have soaked overnight, toss them in a colander and give them a good rinse.

Add the drained and rinsed off beans to the sautéed vegetables and give them a good stir.

IMG_0026

Add the ham bone…

IMG_0027 

Pour in the chicken stock.

Add a few bay leaves salt, pepper and season to your liking.

IMG_0028

Simmer on low for two to three hours until beans are tender and the broth is fully flavored with the ham bone.

The ham bone should fall apart and all the meat on the bone should fall off into the soup.

Before we ladle or soup up I want to share a super double top secret Be Still and Know kitchen trick with all of you.

How many times did I have to soak my soup pots in the sink for days and days because it got scorched on the bottom? More time than I can count sadly enough.

How many many, many years have I dreamed of having a really good stock pot with a nice heavy bottom to help prevent scorching. Regretfully I still do not have a decent stock pot. But I have figured out how to prevent getting that nasty scorching that tends to happen if your not paying attention.

For example if your making soup, working on a post, checking your facebook page,balancing your check book and feeding your granddaughter all at the same time and you forget to stir your soup.

It is a bit tricky but if you take the back burner grate and set it counter clockwise to the grate over the burner you are using and then keep the flame on low it raises your pot up so you can simmer away for several hours without fear of getting a scorched bottom or a ruined pot of soup!

 IMG_0030

After a few hours of simmering your soup is good to go.

Be sure to give your soup a taste before serving to adjust the seasoning if necessary. With a big ol ham bone you should be careful with the salt, just be sure to taste it as you go.

Serve with buttermilk biscuits or cornbread muffins and a side salad and you’re in ham bone heaven.

IMG_0037

The beauty of making a big old pot of soup are the leftovers which just get better the next day.

Blessings

Robin

6 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

When I saw your status update on FB about this, I wondered if you would share the recipe!

Made me laugh: "if your making soup, working on a post, checking your facebook page,balancing your check book and feeding your granddaughter all at the same time and you forget to stir your soup." Are you spying on me???? :)

sara said...

this looks and sounds so good!!! I love soup in the fall.

Kim said...

I want some of your soup! :-) It looks so amazing. We cannot get smoked ham here. How sad is that?!! Once in a while we can find smoked pork chops in Belgrano but they're very expensive -- enough so I wouldn't probably use them in soup.

Or maybe I just will :-)

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. And nothing like a Honeybaked Ham bone!

Bekah said...

Oh yum! I just wish anyone else in my house ate beans. Oh well, more for me!

Amy said...

I love beans...you know what they say beans beans the musical fruit the more you eat the more you...well you know the rest.

This looks like a wonderful hearty meal.

Thanks for sharing!!

Amy

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter