God's Word for Today

Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools

Did ya ever wonder where it came from????

The first of April, some do say,
Is set apart for All Fools' Day.
But why the people call it so,
Nor I, nor they themselves do know.
But on this day are people sent
On purpose for pure merriment.

--Poor Robin's Almanac (1790)

How cool is that! Poor “Robin’s” Almanack! Who knew! Not me for sure!

But I digress……

 

Here is what I found from the ever faithful and of course completely accurate internet!

Click here for the rest of the article:

The first site, Snopes, has an interesting theory. Many believe that up until the mid-sixteenth century, France celebrated the new year on April 1. But in 1562, Pope Gregory XIII introduced a new calendar to the Christian world, which changed the date of the new year to January 1.

Of course, they didn't have email back then, so word traveled slowly and some people continued to celebrate on April 1. These poor, misinformed souls were referred to as "April Fools" and had tricks played on them.

The second site, Holiday Page: April Fool's Day, offered a similar explanation, although the details differed a little. According to their version, Charles IX introduced the Gregorian calendar in 1564, changing the date of the new year. The "April Fools" tradition was then passed on to England and Scotland in the eighteenth century and eventually made its way to the American colonies.

Next, we checked out a message board devoted to the origin of April Fools' Day, but it just added fuel to the fire. In the end, further research only led us to further debate. We concluded that there is no absolutely conclusive conclusion.

Whatever the specifics, we have to agree with Mark Twain, who said, "The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year."

Well with all the talk about tattoo’s yesterday I'm off to get one!

April Fool’s!!

Actually I’m off to the post office, as well as to get my car emissions inspected and renew the tag’s and buy some decaff coffee.

The hubs informed me the other day that upon doctors orders he has been informed to restrict his caffeine intake. I am making the supreme and ultimate sacrifice and will be making the switch to decaff. I am not entirely sure that this will be a good thing for our marriage or my mental health. I am contemplating the fact that our marriage vows “Do you take this man for richer for poorer, in sickness and health, forsaking all caffeine….now wait just a minute, if memory serves that was not part of the bargain!”

On second thought maybe I’ll do half-caff?

Talk about an April Fools!

Honey we need to cut out the caffeine!

Your joking right????

No really!

Blessings Y’all!

1 comment:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Ugh, cutting the caffeine. Dreaded words, indeed. I think I would just have to buy a second coffee pot. Decaf just doesn't have the same flavor depth to me.

But if you need to restrict yours, then you should..."I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." And you.

You go, girl.
:-)

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter