God's Word for Today

Monday, November 17, 2008

Fall Into Flavor......Chicken Florentine

This recipe is not necessarily very thanksgivvy, but I tried it just yesterday and was so happy with the outcome I had to share it.

It is one I saw on Food network, a Paula Dean recipe so of course it is loaded with butter, mayonnaise, and CHEESE etc…. however I did make a few substitutions if you feel like lightening it up a bit.

I found that with my substitutions I was still very good. My substitutions are in italics.

It will be a keeper for many future evening meals and covered dish suppers.

Chicken Florentine

Ingredients:


2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach

6 chicken breast halves (about 4 pounds), cooked, boned, and shredded

2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
I substituted the 98% fat free mushroom soup

1 cup mayonnaise
I substituted about ½ to ¾ cup light mayonnaise

1 cup sour cream
I substituted Fat free Sour Cream

2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
I cut this back by half and only uses a cup of cheese

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
I zested about half of the lemon and added the zest as well

1 teaspoon curry powder

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

1/2 cup soft bread crumbs

2 tablespoons butter

Directions:


Remove the outer wrappers from the box of spinach.

Open 1 end of each box.

Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, until thawed.

I just took my spinach out in the morning and let it thaw in the sink, then squeezed all the water out of it.


Drain the spinach and put into a large bowl.

Add the shredded chicken.

In a medium bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, Cheddar, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper, to taste, and wine.

Whisk together to make a sauce.

Pour the sauce over the spinach and chicken.

Mix well with a spatula.

Place the mixture into an 11 by 7-inch casserole dish or 2 (9-inch) square disposable aluminum foil pans that have been sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray.

Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula.

Combine the Parmesan and bread crumbs and sprinkle over the top.

Dot with the butter.
I omitted this step and just sprayed the top lightly with a spritz of cooking spray

Wrap the uncooked casserole securely with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil.

Place each pan into a plastic freezer bag and seal.

Place into freezer.

Allow casserole to thaw 24 hours in refrigerator.

When ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap and foil.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes until bubbly.

Super yummy!

I also like that the recipe will make either one large casserole dish or two small.

This is wonderful being able to have one for diner and one to freeze for later.


Love it! Love It! Love It!

Blessings
Robin

3 comments:

Kim said...

This sounds really good so I'll definitely be trying it! I'll have to find a substitute for the cream of mushroom soup, though. No canned soups here at all.
Thanks for sharing!

Terri Tiffany said...

This sounds really good! I'm going shopping today so I will pick up some ingredients--I like the substitutions you made for lower fat.

a portland granny said...

Oh! that sounds good. I will have to try it! I love new recipes. I make my own frozen dinners so usually do a big recipe once a week or so and divide it into my little Glad boxes. This will be perfect. Thanks for sharing it. I liked your substitutions also.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter