God's Word for Today

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Project 365 ~ Week 42

I am extremely late to the 365 party today!

I will preface my week by telling a short story.

Back in 1998 myself and 11 others in our congregation began the very first training class of Stephen Ministry. If you are unfamiliar with what Stephen Ministry is you can click on the link to get more information about all this ministry entails. To sum it up it is a caring ministry set up to help those in need in the congregations well as surrounding community. Stephen Ministers are trained individuals who walk with those who are grieving, sick or suffering from the many emotional troubles people find themselves in. It is a one on one support system until they no longer require that support.

One of our dear friends who trained along with the original 12 was called home to Jesus on Friday. We gather today to celebrate his life this afternoon. You can know that the end is near, you can be prepaid for the passing, you can even wish for it because you know that the suffering in the physical body will finally be over. However once you receive the new then it turns into an ache in your heart not for the lost loved one but for those who are left behind. For his beloved wife of 53 years, for his grandchildren and great grandchildren, for his siblings and for all of us, his church family. We gathered today to remember Jim.

He made me laugh, he walked with all of us as we entered into the new territory of becoming Stephen Ministers and in the journey we became more than friends we became family members.

Tonight I am remembering my dear friend with sadness because he will be dearly missed, but I am also remembering with such great comfort knowing that the body that slowly failed him has been restored and he is finally at rest and in perfect peace with His Father in heaven.

If that was not enough to well up the remembrance in my heart it was also one of those sad milestones that happen in the grieving process. Some of you may remember reading a previous post of mine about a sweet wonderful family friend, more like one of my own children really, well Saturday would have been his 14 birthday. So this weekend has been filled with a bitter sweet mix of remembrances for me.

It was good to have something fun and frivolous to shift my focus on through out the week as you will see.

Having poured out my sad teacup of remembering I plunge into this weeks project 365.

A hint before viewing, one of the tools I use to distract myself is cooking so there are quite a few food shot this week.

No pictures on Sunday, October 10

Monday, October 11

Several weeks ago I purged the veggie patch of all the spent plants. The only remaining plants were my green pepper plant and my Jalapeño plant. After a few nice rain storms and the benefit of a good soaking the other day when the Hubs watered that back yard I went outside on Sunday and was shocked at the bounty. I couldn't get my tomato or cucumber to take root in my little patch of dirt but leave the green peppers untended a forget about them and look what happens.

 IMG_4236 

I dashed out to the the store for supplies and made a nice batch of pepper jelly.

IMG_4239

I’m set for the holiday season party season as I now have 8 - 1/2 pint jars of pepper jelly that are just the right size for horse devours, cream cheese and good cracker and some nice sweet hot pepper jelly….YUM! 

IMG_4243

No pictures to day either….Tuesday, October 12

Wednesday, October 13

We did a practice run on the Homecoming hair!

IMG_4248

Thursday, October 14

Pineapple Upside Down Cake, more cooking distraction but there was an ulterior motive. I needed the cans.

One of the hubs favorite things for breakfast are English Muffins. I found a recipe for them and they made a suggestion to use empty tuna fish cans as the muffin rings, well not begin a tuna lover I was in search for a similarly shaped can at the grocery store the other day and came home with canned pineapple rings. Hmmm there may be some English Muffin pictures in next weeks 363…

It was really good. The preparation took my mind of the approaching day of Aubrey birthday not to mention it was very tasty as well.

IMG_4250 

Friday, October 15

Y’all I was working real hard on distraction myself as you can see.

I met my small group for dinner on Tuesday evening at Panera. I had their Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich and it is served on Tomato Basil bread. It was so good. I got to thinking…how hard can it be?

Well after a few minutes research on the internet I can up with a few different recipes and then I began to formulate a recipe for my own version of Tomato Basil Sourdough bread. It was good but I think there is still a bit of tweaking need on the recipe.

IMG_4252 

Saturday, October 16

We were in prime homecoming mode all day on Saturday.

It began with a trip to the Nail salon. The DD got the full mani-pedi. I figured since I was already there I through caution to the wind as well as my credit card and hopped in the adjacent chair and enjoyed myself immensely as my tired tootsies were treated to a few minutes of pampering.

 IMG_4255

A little Before and After action going on…

IMG_4253  IMG_4259

 IMG_4262

I’m quoting…”I’m real happy with my hair!”

Thanks skoots1mom for the loan of the hot rollers what would we do with out you! The dress, the rollers….saved me a boatload of $$$$$!

Well it was an emotional charged week for me, remembering two people that I loved dearly! But loss and remembering loved ones is all part of life.

For more Project 364 y’all head over to Sara’s and link up.

I will pop over tomorrow and give your 365 a look tomorrow.

Blessings to you all y'all!

Now go hug someone you love and remember someone one who has gone home to Jesus!

R

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm sorry for your sadness at the loss of your friends from this world, but I rejoice at their homecoming with Jesus- sweetest name I know! When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be, when we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory! Do you know that song?

Your foodie pictures here are outstanding- very mouth watering shots you took there.

Hair, dress and nails are killer!

Now, I'm off to hug I.T., he's the only one here. :)

Tori said...

So sorry for your hurting heart this week! Praying you will continue to find comfort and peace as you share the wonderful testimonies of your friends.

Your food looks wonderful as always! It looks like you could give Panera a run for their money.
We were just talking about Jalapeno Jelly tonight. Sara (our Project host) makes it and shared her recipe with me, so I make it too.
I would say the homecoming look turned out gorgeous!! She looks fantastic.
Have a super week!!!

larkswing said...

I hope your heavy heart lightens, loss of someone is just.... well. I remember your post about the young gentleman I have thought about that some since. I hope his parents days are getting easier.

Let me just say - PEPPPER JELLY YUM!! Loved the food pictures, I have not had breakfast yet, they are making me hungry!!

Hope the celebrations service is full of fun memories and laughter to ease the sadness.

The Bug said...

I'm so sorry for your loss - but I like how you baked your way through it :)

We cleared out the tomato plants on Saturday (although they still looked great & were producing tomatoes - we didn't want to watch the frost get them) and there was one surviving bell pepper plant with an actual pepper on it! It hadn't done anything all summer - we'll see if it actually makes it to maturity.

Diane Meyer said...

That was just beautiful. I loved how you remembered you dear friend/ family member. I understand the ache and the empty place even the spurt of relief before the tears come back. Thanks for sharing about this saint.

Diane Meyer said...

PS. Your girl looks gorgeous!!
And seriously? You made that bread?
Jealous!!

Skoots1moM said...

love it all!!

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter