God's Word for Today

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I'm joining Joyce From this Side of the Pond for the Wednesday Hodgepodge today!

She is inching ever so close to the centennial version; this is week #98!

1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? 

Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?

I own several dictionaries, one was gift from a dear friend. We had a habit of picking a “Word of the Day” and each day we would randomly open the dictionary and then all try to incorporate that word into our conversation each day. The person who was able to use the word the most was the winner. I do still from time to time use my hardback dictionary but more times than not I will yield to the conveyance of the internet. It really is way simpler.

Edit: I worked up this post yesterday, however I was visiting my FB page this morning and happen upon one of my blogging pals Sassy Granny. She is one of the most well spoken individual I have had the privilege of reading. She has a command of language that is just amazing. Her word for the day…..

Obfuscate, somehow I think this word maybe relevant for the morning after the presidential debate!

2.  Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations?  What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire? 

In a perfect world we would all have balance and have things in proper perspective. One of my hot buttons is Halloween. If there was such a thing as a parental do over I would go back in time and make the decision to opt out of the celebration of Halloween. Thankfully the girlchild is of an age where she no longer feels pulled to celebrate this holiday. I don't have a problem with schools celebrating Halloween, however I do think that they do have responsibility to put parameters on what will be done such as costume requirement. Bottom line, I think Fall festivals are great fun, the celebration of Halloween has been pushed far beyond the original intent, which is very typical of how the worldly influence impact almost everything. It has been a very slow and disturbing process. What breaks my heart the most? How about seeing a sweet tiny baby dressed up in a bright red devil costume and everyone remarking “Oh how cute!” Really? That makes me very sad and disturbers my spirit a whole lot, not to mention how God must feel to see that darker evil side glorified and celebrated. It’s the world in all it glory! For me I choose not to play!


3.  What's your favorite 'dog' movie? 

My all time favorite dog movie is “Hooch” with Tom Hanks. I love that movie and I never tire of watching it!


4.  When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?

It doesn't happen often, for the most part I am not a nervous or overly excitable person. However there are times when the Hub’s is out of town and I am in the house all by myself. Sometimes it gets too quiet. Giving the house the once over before I climb into bed is a reassurance that all the doors are securely locked and all the windows are tightly shut before bed. Sometime I will turn on the television and drift off to sleep.


5.  Are you a neat cook or a messy cook?  In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?

I confess, I am a clean as you go girl. One because I get to overwhelmed with the idea of having to clean up a HUGE mess, and secondly it just seems easier to me to clean as I go. Why make the process of cooking more difficult by making a huge mess and turning what for me is a fun thing into a big headache!


6.  Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute?  Was your first thought  COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY!  Are you adventurous?

I have never understood the need people have to push the envelope. I can enjoy gazing up and a majestic mountain range, however never once has the thought “I need to go climb that!” rambled through my mind! However I do have a small sense of adventure when approaching something new. Learning something new, going to a new place or just venturing out to see what happens. I am not a thrill seeker but I am defiantly open to experiencing new things.


7.  What's not a word but should be?

I enjoy those wonderful words that come from a combination of two different words. Fantabulous, ginormous or superlicious to name just a few!


8.  My answer to question #4 got me to thinking.

I think the reason being “too quiet” was for most in my mind is that in fact the Hub’s is out of town on business right now. It does make for quiet evenings. The Girlchile puts great value on her sleep and is in bed by 9:30 most evening. Having to get up at 5:15 am to achieve teenage perfection before leaving for school requires time and preparation. This means that most night I have the house and the remote all to myself. One of the things I do enjoy when I have the house all to myself is making things as simple as I can. I pack the frig with frozen pizza’s, chicken pot pies or anything I can just heat and eat. I get my shower right after dinner and then curl up with my nice warm purple robe and either find a really good movie or just relax with my Kindle and enjoy the down time! It is sort of like a mini vacation. I used to feel really guilty about enjoying my time off knowing that the hubs was off  working but after six years of his occasional business trip I no longer struggle with such issues any more. When he is out of town I will load the Netflix queue up with multiple chick flicks and then hunker down and have a good old fashion film festive with popcorn and a coke float! So what do you do with the unexpected bit of time off?

 

Blessings

R

7 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Superlicious is a fun word! :)

April said...

What a fantabulous post! I haven't heard that word since my oldest daughter was in high school. She and her bestie used it all the time!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Turner & Hooch is a great movie and I just watched it again recently. I clean as I go too or I go crazy with the mess. Those are fun word choices.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved the post. Loved the weird word too.

Nel said...

Oh my I can't believe I didn't think of Hooch, that is a great movie and one that you do not tire of. Enjoyed your post!
until next time... nel

Joyce said...

My hubs travels a lot. In the cooler months especially, once I'm home from whatever I was doing that particular day, I put my pjs on. The other night my daughter called at 6:30 and I told her I'd just changed into my pajamas. Why not? : )

Jhona O. said...

We use our hardback dictionary a lot and I really like the idea of having a word of the day! Very fun!!

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter