Joining the hodgepodge fun today!
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013 - fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
How can I pick…they are all worthy candidates. I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing the phrase fiscal cliff again, but I think the winner for me would have to be boneless wings….cause there simply is no such thing. Let’s just call it what is is, a chicken nugget!
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
The only train in our vicinity is the rapid transit system for metro Atlanta. I rarely take advantage of it living beyond the metro area. However probably the last time I did take the train was to go to the airport. It really is very convenient. It’s a short 15 to 20 minute ride to the station and then the train takes you straight to the airport, no fuss no muss! I had to really think about when the last time I took the train was…yup a few years back, December 2008. I flew out to meet my husband in Puerto Rico for a long weekend. You can click here to read about my adventure with airport security and see a few pictures of my trip.
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
YAY! Panera makes an awesome Cinnamon Crunch bagel, toasted with cream cheese…YUM!
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I love movies but don’t watch the award shows. Hmmmmm, my movie pick….probably any character for Steel Magnolia’s. Who wouldn't want to be Ouiser Boudreaux, Annelle, Shelby, M’Lynn, Truvy or my favorite character Clairee.
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
Having experienced situations with both my children that required modifications in how they approached certain things in school, I can fully support any changes that embrace the differences in how children learn. One size does not fit all when you are dealing with children. It is simply unrealistic! In my opinion, to expect all children to learn in the same way just makes no sense. If children learn better in a gender specific environment then I say go for it. Set the political correctness aside and look to what is the best learning environment for the children.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
What’s not to like? Knowing that someone else is going to make your bed, pickup your wet towels, actually having clean towels all the time, getting into a freshly made up bed every night…it’s a good thing y’all. In a perfect world we could all stay in a five star hotel all the time. The Hubs and I had the opportunity to experience the attentive care of a five star hotel when we were in Hawaii…IT WAS AWESOME! You can click here for a glimpse into the five star treatment….
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
Unending transition…wondering when the hormonal mood swings, the hot flashes, the ebbs and flow will finally come to an end. It’s been longer that I anticipated and I am past ready for things to settle down…..
8. Insert your own random thought here, normally I check out the WH on Tuesday like all y’all, however today I did not get to it until this morning. It was a cold rainy day yesterday and it continues today. I spent the day knitting and experimenting with a new bread recipe.
I had a cozy day, enjoying some time sipping some hot herbal tea, working on a new prayer shawl project and trying to reformulate a sourdough bread recipe to work with my food processor. It was a GOOD day y’all!
I needed a day off y’all!
How do you spend a rainy day?
That’s if for me for this week! Y’all head over to Joyce’s and link up and visit a few of the other WH folks!