God's Word for Today

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

It’s a line from a John Lennon song.

Today as I read some of the blogs out there I noticed a defiant theme. Folks were contemplating the year that had just gone by and looking to the new year ahead. They were making plans for things to come, for habits to break and for new things on the horizon.

I think we all think about the things we want to achieve in the new year. It’s part of turning over a new leaf and a new year. You look back at the previous year and you dissect your mistakes and you chew on your irritations. I’m not one for New Year’s Resolutions however there are a few things that I know will continue to do:

I will continue to love my husband, children and my dog.

I will continue to study God’s word.

I will continue to spend time with my accountability sisters every Thursday evening.

I will shamelessly boast about having the most beautiful granddaughter on the planet.

I will continue to ask the age old question “How hard could it be?”

I will continue to have as many latte’s as humanly possible.

I will continue to get excited about baby tomatoes, green peppers and cucumbers in my garden.

I will continue to knit, crochet, paint, cook, read, watch movies, take pictures, blog, enjoy the silliness of Farmville and check my Facebook page.

I will continue to….there are so many thing that fill my time and fill my day. My plan for the year is to try to remain focused on what is really important and not get too wrapped up in the things of the world.

I try not to set up lofty goals like reading the entire roster of classical literature, learning a second language, memorizing the entire New Testament or visiting the pyramids, all worthy goals to be sure. I’m not saying that there won’t be a few moments of continuing education in the very near future or even a few opportunities to explore God’s amazing planet. If this happens it will be a bonus.

I have a few pending To-Do projects that are lingering around the house, but I think I do more harm than good when I stress over there completion.

All things in God’s timing, it has been a hard won lesson but one that I think I am finally beginning to understand.

However there are things that I may want to achieve that will take a bit more effort.

I will plan to take my vitamins every day, however I may have to fashion a stylish necklace so the bottles can hang around my neck, this be the only way I will remember to take them.

I will plan to wake up at 5:30 a.m. every morning and head to the workout room down at the clubhouse, however I may need to attach an electrode to my bedsprings to give me the necessary jolt out of bed every morning.

I will plan to not let my junk mail accumulate on my kitchen counter, this may require a complete personality overhaul.

I plan to convince myself that the blossoming gray in my hair is in fact blonde highlights, they are a crown of splendor for my head right, but the bottom line is that I am to lazy and too cheap to regularly maintain any hair color regiment for any length of time.

I will plan to love fat free, low fat, high fiber, sugar free ….this may also require a complete personality overhaul as well.

I will plan to completely alter the reality that my DD is now eligible to drive a car. YIKES!

There are a few things I do know for sure.

1. God is Good

and

2. Peri-menopause does not last forever, it just feels like it does!

 

I saw this over at Zizzie Happenings and I just had to steal it.

Top Ten Predictions for 2011

  1. The Bible will still have the answers.
  2. Prayer will still work.
  3. The Holy Spirit will still move.
  4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.
  5. There will still be God-anointed preaching.
  6. There will still be singing of praise.
  7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.
  8. There will still be room at the Cross.
  9. Jesus will still love you.
  10. Jesus will still save the lost.

(author unknown)

I think this about says it all!

 

What plans are you making for the New Year?

Blessings

R

4 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

i'd love to make plans but this stupid 'meno' (i will not acknowledge it with its full name) sometimes makes me give up even moment by moment, so i'll not have any resolutions. praying for a miracle.

Emily said...

Oh, please, can I borrow that list at the bottom if I give credit? Wow!

I love this post. It is all so inspiring and true. There are so many good things that we can resolve to continue-- it doesn't have to be new and fantastic and huge. My resolution is simple this year: complain less, thank more. And I've faltered a few times, but I think it's the action of picking up, dusting off, and trying again that matters.

Thanks for this post-- AMAZING. God is good!

Terri Tiffany said...

Hey there! Your post is one of the the most fun of all of them for the new year--I love that you listed what you will keep doing first as we tend to forget that we are doing some things right and don't need to change everything.
And you have some healthy plans too! I'm trying to continue my excercize regime--I see it is really working for me. Also trying to read my Bible every day like I did last year as my goal.
And love that perimenopause--cause menopause and all that goes with it is NOT fun!!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Robin, this is one of the most realistic New Year's posts I think I've seen. I especially love the bottom part, too. :-)

The title of this one caught my attention because it's a line I've heard my husband and mother-in-love say before. In fact, I think she has a cross-stitch of it in her house! :-)

My faves: "I will shamelessly boast about having the most beautiful granddaughter on the planet" and "I will continue to ask the age old question 'How hard could it be?'"

Classic. Those two are a shoe-in! haha
Happy New Year Robin!

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter