God's Word for Today

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Random Dozen

Joining Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee for this weeks Random Dozen. Y’all go check out all the other folks who are being Random today!

1. If you physically lock in one age for yourself, which would you choose and why?

If I could lock in an age…I don’t think I would.

Did I enjoy being in my 20’s and young and thin, you betcha. However I have very vivid memories of being unhappy with my weight on my wedding day and I look back at the pictures and I wonder what was wrong with me.

Did I enjoy being 30ish ya! I did but I was an exhausted mother of toddlers and elementary school children.

My 40’s well I am so glad that they are over. So I’ll take where I am and be glad that I am here and thankful for the wisdom and the insight I've gained.


2. What is the best dish that you cook or bake (your piece de resistance?)

Asking me that question is like asking me to pick my favorite flower or choose one child over another.

I just can’t do it.

My joy in cooking comes in placing something I hope will be wonderful on the table for my friends and family. If they enjoy something I have prepared then that is my reward.


3. When you feel blue, what is one strategy you use to help yourself back to normal?

Hmmm…that depend on what fuels the “blue” feelings.

Sadly there are times in my hormonal sate of being where blue feeling come for no real good reason. I confess that this drastic swing at times is very upsetting because there is little that moves it aside but the passage of time. I just have to wait out the storm surge and try my very best not to decapitate innocent passersby or my immediate family.

However, I have noticed that for me what helps the most is to remove the offending thoughts from my head. I can do this in a few different ways. I have several very good Sisters in Christ that are a call away. I know that no matter what the circumstances I have an outlet and a listening ear is just a phone call away.

My second outlet are the pages of my journal. The safety and freedom of being able to pour out my feelings upon the page is just like removing the stopper and letting the dirty dishwater flow down the drain.


4. When was the last time you danced in public?

A very very very very very long time.

5. Do you consider yourself a realist or dreamer?

I think if I have to choose it would be realist, however knowing the character and nature of God I also know that nothing is impossible. We limit ourselves when we place unmovable boundaries in life. I’m real about the things I need to be real about financial responsibility, open mouth insert food equals regret, what goes up must come down, the sun will come out tomorrow but I also know that God can move mountains if we will but yield  and allow Him to work!

6. As a parent, what is one thing that you have done well?

Gee…I think I’ll take a pass on this one!


7. Which is your favorite character on the Andy Griffith show?

See full size image

It’s Me! It’s Me! It’s Ernest T!


8. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you know about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

5


9. What is your #1 driving pet peeve?

Drivers that do not understand the rules of “Right of Way”. When you come into my lane it is not my job to move over so you can drive past me.


10. Which color best represents your mood today? Care to elaborate?

Green = productive! After spending the last several days getting several small picky project off my list I am feeling very accomplished. I have gotten the coat closet in the foyer organized. I have finally begun getting the computer desk organized with the addition of my new filling cabinet. I purged to filling cabinet drawers and have consolidated it all into one filling box to put in storage. Yeaaaa!!!!! for me!


11. If your spouse were an animal, which would he/she be?

A Work Horse, I am so very blessed to have a husband who is a fixer, a do it yourselfer, however it does from time to time have it’s disadvantages. He has a very difficult time sitting still and relaxing.

True story: The other day after dinner he was cleaning up the dinner dishes. It’s the rule I cook and the DD and Hubs clear away the dishes. Well anyway I was sitting on the sofa listening to the clanking and running water and it seemed to be continuing on and on and on and on. When I could stand it no longer I got up to investigate exactly what my husband was doing. I walked in the kitchen and there he stood with his head inserted deep inside the belly of my refrigerator. The crisper drawer was out on the kitchen floor and the condiments were all lined up on the counter and he was strenuously scrubbing away! He emptied the entire contents of the refrigerator and gave the whole inside a sanitary wipe down.

Here is the difference, I open the refrigerator and think to myself “Wow! I really need to clean that!” my husband opens the refrigerator and this compulsion washes over him and then his childhood programming kicks in and he turns into “Mr. Clean” and all of this after a long day at the office. I’d call that a work horse with OCD tendencies….


12. What activity takes up the bulk of your time on an average day?

After I put on my June Clever pearls and vacuumed the entire house, wash and fold all the dirty clothing, dust the blinds, clean the base boards, plan a three course meal, balancing our budget and cleaning out all the closets….

The truth of the matter is that I spend way to much time checking emails, Facebooking, blogging and other non productive activities. But I will say that I do tend to structure my time. I set aside the necessary time and get them all done in a flurry of activity so then I can have a few uninterrupted minutes to do what I want to do from time to time.

Ya know what…my family have clean cloths to wear, they get dinner on the table most evenings, I mange to keep the mortgage, water and power bills paid on a regular basis, make it to the grocery story when we are running out of toilet paper, but then that is a high priority for me, not them. All in all I think they aren't complaining to much. Except for maybe when the refrigerator gets really dirty, but then after 27 years of marriage my husband has just accepted the fact that there are some things that never quite make it on to my list of priorities. I’m just glad that they from time to time make it on to his.

Happy Random Dozen

Robin

11 comments:

Thena said...

Love your answers. Your days sounds a lot like mine. Only difference my husband may see the fridge needing a cleaning and points it out to me. I hate cleaning under the drawers because I have to pull the fridge out from the wall because the door won't open all the way because of another wall.

Melli said...

Oh Robin! What a great and honestly answered dozen this was today! I loved it! And we had many similar answers. AND... my husband is always the fridge cleaner outer! When things get icky in there it turns my stomach... so Hubs always cleans out the veggie drawer and if leftovers have been in for too long - he does the dumping and cleaning of the bowls! I do TRY to keep up on this so that things DON'T grow hair... but when I mess up - he's always there to the rescue!

Joyce said...

I had to laugh at #11. My husband is a worker too. We were cleaning up dinner dishes last night and I had a phone call. When I returned he had the stove top taken apart and scrubbed sparkly clean. Ya gotta love that!

Patrice and Higgins said...

Loved your answers and was right there with you on #2!

Nel said...

Loved your answers! Your husband reminds me of my cousin's hubby. She said sometimes it is nice, but sometimes it drives her crazy.
Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

I really like your answers and I'm so impressed with your husband cleaning out the refrigerator! Wow!

Angie said...

I need to borrow your husband! Just kidding. As I type, mine is grilling hamburgers outside in 30 degrees. I can't complain.

You've just about inspired me to get off the computer and go organize something...just about, but not quite yet.

Amy said...

He's a keeper for sure...but I guess you have already figured that out!!

Great answers

Amy

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Fun answers Robin! And your husband in the refrig... if I thought it would do ANY good, I would read it to my husband.

I also saw your recent steps to organization... GOOD FOR YOU! It's just that time of year, isn't it? I love your new filing cabinet and the whole thing looks great!

Sonja

Susanne said...

Can your hubby come take a peek inside my fridge please? :v)

T. Powell Coltrin said...

This helps me get to know you better!

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter