God's Word for Today

Monday, February 25, 2008

“Hoooop-A-Taaa-sooo”

Hupotasso, we talked about this word in Sunday school and we heard it preached about from the pulpit as well.


Hupotasso, it sounds like a foreign language, in fact it is Greek, but I just like the way the word sounds. Hoop-ot-as’-so, it sounds like something delicious that is served with a side of gravy or the name for a beloved household cat. I just like saying it, it kinda rolls of the southern tongue. The technical southern pronunciation is probably closer to “Hoooop-A-Taaa-sooo”
All seriousness aside the reality of the word is far from something you smother with gravy and serve with a side of home fries.


So what is Hupotasso? Being submissive might actually be easier to swallow if it really was smothered in gravy and served with fires, but in reality it is at times very difficult to practice, an even more difficult to yield to the true meaning of the word. I love the word Hupotasso, Greek translation meaning submission. The Greek lexicon defines the word as the following:

  1. to arrange under, to subordinate
  2. to subject, put in subjection
  3. to subject one's self, obey
  4. to submit to one's control
  5. to yield to one's admonition or advice
  6. to obey, be subject

Being submissive, is there possible any biblical topic that is more abused than this one, we discussed at great length exactly what it meant to submit in our relationship with Christ. What it meant to submit in our relationship with our spouse, or our close friends or our co-workers. I will admit it was a lively discussion.


When I think of the act of submission, I will admit to a very wide range of visual images parading through my mind. Some of them have very negative connotations associated with the subject mater, but all of these negative things are all worldly in origin. However, when we focus on what it means to be submissive as Christ was submissive unto the cross our definition is refocused and we lose the negative connotations all together.


Chris is our perfect example of the true definition of submission. He showed us how to be a servant to others, he washed the disciple’s feet, and we must follow his example. Christ showed us all how to love others more that we love ourselves. He showed us how to obey the will of our Heavenly Father even when He asked for the cup to be removed from Him in the garden. Yet in the moment that followed that painful request He submitted Himself the authority and was ultimate turned over to be crucified.

Where would we be today if He had not submitted Himself to the ultimate act of obedience to His Heavenly Father.

I may bristle a bit at the concept of submission, but when I look at it with the eyes of faith I see that is truly an act of love. When I put the needs of others in front of my own I am being submissive. When I yield my will in favor of obedience then I am being submissive, when I serve I am being submissive.

It is not weak to be submissive, Christ was the very example of strength and He got down on His hands and knees and washed the dirty feet of twelve men, just to mention one in the numerous act of service He modeled for us. So let’s make an effort to redefine the discipline of submission. What do I need to submit to in my life? Who do I need to submit to? Who do I need to serve? What do I need to yield to?

No comments:

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter