God's Word for Today

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy ( PS 96:12)

I may not be deadline driven or win any medals for efficiency but I do like to think that I have retained some ability to follow through with the things that I start even if it takes me a very long to time to see it through to completion.

This final installment in our summer vacation post has been lounging around in my drafts folder all summer long and finally after many long days of being neglected, plus the DD is making pancakes for breakfast and I was wasting time on the computer anyway so I thought I would give it a go.

So here it is the FINAL 2010 Summer Vacation post!

We hit the Petrified Forest on the last leg of our vacation. It is just outside of Phoenix which was our destination to catch our flight home.

I was not sure what I was expecting but it was defiantly the last amazing jewel in our vacation crown so to speak.

It was AWESOME! The colors, the amazing beauty, the vistas were simply inspiring. 

On 07/01/10 we made it to The Petrified Forest National Park. It is a definite must if you are heading out west. I am so glad that we took the time to visit this natural treasure. Something else I was not aware of was that the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest are encompassed in the same national park, sorta a two for one deal.

It was just beautiful.

 IMG_3508

IMG_3512

Everywhere you looked God was a hand. Standing in front of this awe inspiring sight and again I had to wonder how people turn their back on the possibility of God.

Who but God could order so many amazing things in just the right time and place to create something so wonderful?

IMG_3515 

One of the most fascinating things were the petroglyphs, being scientifically and geologically challenged I did not even know what a petroglyph was before entering the park. Well I know now!

IMG_3538

Newspaper Rock is a petroglyph panel etched in sandstone that records perhaps 2,000 years of human activity in the area. Etched into the desert varnish are symbols' representing the Fremont, Anasazi, Navajo and Anglo cultures. The exact nature of these symbols meaning is still not clearly understood. But they are typical of many sites throughout the U.S. in their use of universal symbols, be it graffiti or a true "newspaper," recording events of the times and earlier.

It was way cool y’all!

 

 IMG_3540IMG_3542

IMG_3543IMG_3544  

IMG_3550

After driving through the Painted Desert we drove through the Petrified Forest.

This I thought was just amazing. The poetry of God’s word immediately came to mind. The very first thing I thought of as I glimpsed my first look at petrified wood was “then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy” (PS 96:12) for these amazing and colorful jewel tones of natural sculpture were truly singing God’s praises as lay strew across the desert floor!

It defiantly put into perspective the concept of me being “but a breath” (PS 39:5) when you factor in the millions of years it took to produce the process of petrifaction is that a word? the span of my life become infinitesimal by comparison.

IMG_3554    IMG_3615IMG_3665

It looks like it just fell over and then just broke apart doesn’t it?

IMG_3620 IMG_3625 IMG_3652 IMG_3662

Well this concludes the vacation wrap up for the summer of 2010.

I hesitate to mention the plans we have in the works for our next vacation as it is still in the very early planning stages, suffice it to say it will be tropical in nature and something I am HUGELY looking foreword to as it will be just a husband and wife kind of thing, can y’all say salivate?

I am longing for some down time as well as some tropical beauty!

Well here it is in it’s entirety, count’em, ten post in all there glory!

Grand Canyon

Hoover Dam

Las Vegas

Zion National Park

Grand Tetons

Yellowstone Part One

Yellowstone Part Two

Palisades Falls

Mount Rushmore

Well Summer Vacation 2010 was one for the books and I am so thankful we had the opportunity to experience some of this countries breathtaking beauty.

I think we forget sometime just how lucky we are to live in such a diverse country.

There are times when life become overwhelming and when things seems not so good. When this happens I have to remember standing beside the river in the Grand Tetons or listening to my heart thunder as I looked upon the Grand Canyon or feeling the awesome power of God when I watched the waterfalls in Yellowstone or watching the young buffalo calves nurse at their mothers breast or feel the cold water run over my feet of a babbling brook or watch the cool breeze wave through the grasslands.

Everyday of this vacation was an endless reminder of how great this country really us and an even bigger reminder of how nothing can compare to our mighty Creator.

Blessings

R

5 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I so enjoyed reading the rest of your trip and seeing your pictures. I mostly wanted to stop by and wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. Bet you are going to cook something delicious:)

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Robin Sweetie...
Now you know why I love the desert and live in Phoenix. I have the best of both worlds. I can go up north and see the Grand Canyon when I want to cool off, and when it is cold up there, I can be thankful for the warmth here in the desert.

Isn't this state breath taking? Every day I am amazed at the beauty that God has given us.

Thank you for sharing a beautiful piece of my state. From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving.

Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Emily said...

Yes, I am a new follower :) I found your blog from one of the other blogs I follow from someone who followed me, lol. Anyway, I love your Petrified Forest pictures. They're amazing. And you are right-- we are blessed to live in such a diverse country. Honestly, I told my hubby that before we travel to other countries, we should try seeing our whole country first!! There's so much to see here!

Kathleen said...

Having lived in Arizona for ten years, I thoroughly enjoy your photos! We often traveled north to enjoy the Canyon, and the painted desert is beyond belief.

Have a blessed & joyous Thanksgiving.

Kathleen

Nikki (Sarah) said...

these pictures are amazing...It all looks so breath -taking. Have a happy thanksgiving.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter