God's Word for Today

Saturday, September 6, 2008

An improper fraction


Words like x component, convert, denominator, whole numbers and their opposites, Y axis, plot, integers …. Compare two fractions by cross multiplying, charting….. cross product, numerator, equivalent, smaller negatives, improper fraction, 12 was supposed to be A and 13 was supposed to be B, absolute values, number line, positive numbers, floating point numbers, truncated, rounded, a given number, Cartesian coordinate, origin……..

I might as well have been in Indonesia for all the sense it made to me, however I was so thankful that my husband understood this foreign language.

Exactly what is an improper fraction….. maybe it’s a fraction with poor social skills or bad table manners or maybe it is a naughty fraction with a potty mouth or quite possibly a fraction that is politically incorrect??????????

They sat together in the corner of the living room with pencil, paper and calculator. They talked back and forth discussing the solutions to these math problems and the amazing this is that they actually understood the words that were coming out of their mouths.

Sadly math was my worst subject. I watched in amazement as the reality that my DD actually knew what the definition of truncated was. I am not even sure if I have spelled it correctly, yet they diligently work through the morning trying to resolve the areas of confusion.
As I listened to them collectively work together and watched my husband patently explain the math mysteries in a way that would connect with my DD I was to profoundly thankful for his analytical and orderly thought processes.

Praise Jesus that he understands what truncated actually means as well. It sound to me like it is the treatment for a sexually transmitted disease spread amongst the elephant population.
I will beg the forgiveness of my sweet friend over at Turning Points as she is now probably shaking her head in shame at the fact that she actually knows a person who is so mathematically challenged.
I stand in the full light of truth and completely acknowledge my total lack of any knowledge beyond the very basics of mathematical processes.
Give me an apple pie (I have a great recipe for a lattice top apple pie with a crumble topping by the way that is absolutely fabulous) and a knife and I can explain the concept of fractions beyond that I am in big trouble.

Adjectives, adverbs, similes and personifications I get. Anthologies and expository compositions make sense to me, book reports and creative writing hold a special place in my heart. Pondering great literature, researching for a short story this I can help with.

As I listened to my husband and daughter diligently work through these mathematical dilemmas I was keenly aware that where I am weak my husband is strong and where I am strong my husband is weak and together we make a balanced team.

At the conclusion my DD brings me a piece of paper with a small word puzzle, and asks me if I can decipher it.
I was already in Indonesia so I took a stab at it and of course failed miserable.


YYURYYUBICURYY4ME ........................


and the answer is........................................



To wise you are to wise you be, I see you are to wise for me!

Too wise (YY) you are (UR) to wise (YY) you be (UB) I see (IC) you are (UR) to wise (YY) for me! (4ME)

Will the wonders of the seventh grade continue to unfold and may she always remain teachable and seeking even when things get confusing.

7 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

very well said...
and I love the realization of you as a couple...
totally agree with the elephants...
and can I use your puzzle with my 9th graders?
love it!

Skoots1moM said...

i posted a video for you down below my posts at my site...
hope it makes you smile...
i want you to keep smiling...
my heart has been hurting for you...and I want you to keep smiling...
: D

Sarah said...

Ooo thanks for the honorable mention.

I teach mathematically challenged teenagers in two of my classes. These kids are actors, writers, musicians and artists. Some are athletes. Some truly do not know what they are.

But I tell them this regularly: When they lament their lack of mathematical understanding (usually with "this is dumb" or "I am dumb"), I remind them that God gave them gifts I do not have. And while in this period of their lives they must perservere with a task they do not enjoy, there will be a time when they can focus most of their energy on the things they love.

And thanks for the puzzle - got some seniors to use it on!

Kathleen said...

God bless those that teach the sciences to children (like I was) that much prefers the socials! It wasn't until I was much older, long away from the classroom, that I developed an appreciation for the thought-provoking world of math. It probably began with my checkbook, but has gone on to span so much more.

Katheen

Skoots1moM said...

Go over and read Beth's post from today...
http://livingproofministries.blogspot.com/

Skoots1moM said...

i did the puzzle
pitiful
11:20

eeeeewwwwww my brain is so slow!
it was fun though...beautiful picture!

Skoots1moM said...

i did the puzzle
pitiful
11:20

eeeeewwwwww my brain is so slow!
it was fun though...beautiful picture!

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter