God's Word for Today

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 

Here are this week's questions-


1. How will you spend 'the night before Christmas'?

Typically we go to church for the Christmas Eve service. Sometimes we will have close friends over for hors devours after church. If it’s just us then I pare it down but still keep it to finger food snaky type stuff. I am thinking maybe some baked oysters, maybe some nachos, there might be a cocktail on the menu and then something sweet. It’s a no fuss no muss kind of thing. When we had little ones we made a big deal of Jesus' Birthday and had cake and ice cream and then we would plan for several days exactly what we would leave out for Santa. Now the Girlchild is well past the yearning to leave a plate of treats for Santa. I still wait until the Girlchild goes to bed to fill the stockings, some mommy habits are hard to break I think.


2.  What is one thing you are not?

young, thin, disciplined, un-opinionated and lastly obedient as I couldn't restrain myself to just one thing!


3.  Fudge-are you a fan?  Your favorite flavor?

I think I have made a batch of fudge in my day, however I am more of a cookie girl. But a nice piece of fudge with pecans or walnuts would never get turned down.


4. Did you attend any craft/vendor fairs in the month of December? 

My short answer is NO. I am just not a fan of shopping in any form, so unless it is absolutely necessary I never opt to just go on a shopping for fun trip ever!!!!!!

Are you giving any homemade gifts this year?

I think my aversion to shopping may be the reason I enjoy giving homemade gifts. But then I am also a bit of a foodie so it is most likely that the gifts will be comprised of some homemade jam or homemade bread or anything else that I can whip up in my kitchen. I have also been know to knit up a whole mess of scarves or hats for gifts too.  This year now that I am learning how to work with the clay most folks are getting a piece of pottery, that is as long as it makes it out of the kiln successfully that is.


5. What's your favorite type of holiday gathering?

If I was going to loose my mind and host a Christmas party it would probably be a gathering of my closest friends. We would all gather for a pot luck supper and then just enjoy each other company around the fire with some hot spiced cider and a nice plate of Christmas cookies.


6.  We're approaching a new year...what's going to be different in 2013?

Great question! My life philosophy is “Never waste my suffering.” That means for me and my life, in my journey with Christ, in my earthy life  I know that unfortunate things are going to happen. How I choose to respond to to my suffering, what I glean from it and how I move past it are critical life situations. It’s simple really, I think in all things God is always trying to teach, to comfort, to reach, to rebuke, to correct and basically deepen his connection with those who call on him. Know one really knows what 2013 will being, God however does. Looking to him for our comfort, our guidance, our correction and our decision making is for me the one goal I choose for every new year.


7. Share a favorite scripture, quote, saying, or song lyric relating to peace.

The word peace is used 247 time in the NIV version. So it’s clear to me that it’s importance is a vital component in our faith journey…

John 14:27

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


8.  As I type it’s 2:53 A.M, I went to bed last night at my usually time, however when I woke up to make my normal potty run I eased back into bed and then just laid there. The thoughts began to roll through my head…

What to get for my Son and DIL for Christmas,,,

I need to get a few more stocking stuffers…

I need to get one more thing for the Hubs…

I have to make a menu plan so I can make my grocery list…

Snow, snow, snow, snow, I want to wash my hands, my face, my hair with snow…it’s a song lyric from White Christmas. AMC has been runnig a commercial movie montage of all the movies they are showing for the hilidays. There is one film snippet for White Christmas where they are singing this line and I can’t seem to get it out of my head

I have to take that pair of pants back to Belk…

There was, and still is a rolling list of things to do going on in my head. I could visualized myself doing all these things. So I guess my random thought is what do y’all do when you cant sleep? I laid there for a few minutes tossing from one side to the other and then I decide that I just needed to get up. So now here I sit drinking a cup of warm milk at 3:00 A.M. I am still thinking about all the things that I need to accomplish over the next few day.

But I am at least getting this post finished.

Well it’s now exactly 3:16, the internet is acting screwy and I can’t connect  so I will have to wait until morning to hit the post button. I have finished my warm milk and I am going to try to go back to sleep. As I ease back into be I am going to replace my rolling dialogue with a conversation with the Lord, which is probably what I should have done in the first place…something I wonder about myself.The things I do last are usually the things I need to do first…

Edit: Good morning! God is good and I eventually was able to get back to sleep! I still have a list of things to get done today so as soon as I hit the post button I’m off to try and finish my Christmas Shopping!

So for more Wednesday Hodgepodge y’all head over to Joyce’s and link up!

Lastly, who could not be thinking of the terrible tragedy in Newtown. It seems that my thoughts are never far from those parents and the people of this small Connecticut town. My prayers are more earnestly focused on healing, on comfort and for due diligence for all the law enforcement officers involved. How do you wrap your mind around something that is so unexplainable and so horrific.

What I know for certain is that there is nothing impossible for God! My limited human comprehension can not fathom the profound grief yet God has a bottomless well of comfort and tender caring attention for all those involved.

Blessings

R

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I LOVED your post. We sound very similar! Have a blessed Christmas.

Joyce said...

We still leave cookies out-Santa likes his treats : )

I've had some nights like the one you describe. I'm glad you finally got to sleep. Our heads are too full right now.

Merry Christmas!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved your post. Have a very Merry Christmas.

retired not tired said...

I too had lists in my head last night. At one point I even considered turning on the TV.

Sammie said...

I too had lists upon lists rolling around in my head last night. Usually I can divert my busy mind and think upon a book or movie, falling asleep with happy thoughts. Lately this doesn't work it prompts the mind back into a snowball of thoughts. So I will get out of bed, go upstairs, pop some Melatonian , piddle on the computer a bit then crawl back in bed.

May your Christmas be Joyous.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter