God's Word for Today

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1.  So, when did you last take a walk in the woods? A stroll along the beach? A drive going nowhere in particular in the car? 

Back in September the Hubs and I took a drive up to the N. GA. Mountains to see some fall foliage. It was great weather, and we enjoyed the day together. We did have a destination in mind, we were headed to Vogel State Park and we had a pic-nic in tow. You can click here to see a few pictures.

2.  Are you sending Christmas cards this year?  About how many do you send?  Photo card or something more traditional?  How do you display the cards you receive?

My answer…NO! I used to send Christmas cards a long time ago. Now not so much. I think for my hormonally shifting emotional state of mind the less on my plate the better. Not to mention the things that just slip off my plate unintentionally having something else to do at the Holidays is just not a good idea for me right now. I do have a small Christmas basket that I use to set out any Christmas cards that I do still receive. I can say that the number of cards we receive each year has dropped. I think it is a tit for tat kind of thing. If you stop sending them then you stop getting them.

3. What's a word you've heard too much of in the past week?

Well being a Fox News person I am a bit over the phrase “Fiscal Cliff”. I know it’s an important issue, however I am not hopeful that the politicians will be able to reach an agreement. In a perfect world I would love to get my hands on the nations budget. If I have to live within my means then I don’t think it should be that hard for the government to do likewise.

4. December 13th is National Cocoa Day-are you a fan?  Plain or flavored?  Marshmallows or no marshmallows?

I enjoyed a nice cup of Hot Chocolate yesterday afternoon. Since it was in the afternoon I enjoyed my warm treat with a shot of peppermint mocha flavored creamer. In the evening I have been know to top my hot chocolate of with a shot of Kahlua or Baileys. I am not a huge fan of marshmallows, however if did loose my mind once and spent an entire winter tying to make homemade marshmallows. I made some peppermint ones, I will say that a homemade peppermint marshmallow on top of a nice hot cup of cocoa is to die for.

5. What is something you do to help alleviate the hectic pace of the Christmas season?

Last Christmas I had a goal of trying to buy Made in the USA, it was a good plan. It still is a good plan, however as I found out last year it is vey difficult to achieve. So far this year I have broken my rule multiple times. If you are buying electronics or toys is is nearly impossible to find merchandise that is not made in China. One of the things I have adopted over the holiday season is to try to make as many of the gifts as possible. This year I am giving my mom and sister a few pieces of my pottery. I also plan ahead during the canning season and put up a few extra jars of jam or what ever else i am putting up for Christmas gifts. This year I may make a few extra loaves of bread to hand out. I don’t buy a lot of gifts. I am not an over the top kinds of girl. I figure the world has enough stuff. It really isn't about the stuff anyway, or at least it shouldn't be about the stuff. I try to keep it simple and stick to the plan. For over a decade or longer we have been living on a budget. We adopted a practice of setting aside a small amount each pay period reserved for Christmas Gifts. When December rolls around the money is ready and waiting. I don’t have to stress about coming up with the money for gifts. Next I make lists of the people I am giving gifts to and then I try very hard to stick to it. I don’t just go out randomly shopping without a plan. I know what I am looking for and I go get it and get out. I still have a few uncheck people on my list but I am mostly done. I also try to wrap as I go, no Christmas Eve wrapping marathons for this girl…..

6. Besides jewelry, what's a favorite sparkly-glittery item in your home or closet?

What can I say, I am just not a glittery kind of girl. I do have a few dressy tops that are relegated to the very back of the closet for those moments when I need to clean up a bit. But it just isn't my style. I went shopping yesterday for a new outfit to wear to the Hubs Christmas party and both the tops I bought have nary a speck of glitter in sight. It is also rare that I have any jewelry on beyond my customary gold cross necklace.If I am having a particularly hot flashy kind of day then even the necklace comes off.

7. Share a favorite line or two from any Christmas carol.

You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vickson, Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitezen.

But do you recall the most famous reindeer of all.

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer deer had a very shiny nose.

And if you ever saw it

You would even say it glows,

All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names

They never let poor Rudolf play in any reindeer games….

 

typed from memory…NOT GOOGLED!

 

8.  We are going to be having Christmas Brunch at my house again this year. It will be a small gathering, just my immediate family. Then later I will do a small dinner for just the Hubs, the Girlchild and myself. Plus I think I will be breaking in the new dinning room table and dusting off Grandma’s dishes. This will be the first year that I have actually had a dinning room table with chairs to sit in in my dinning room so I’m thinking that it needs to get used!

I am trying to come up with a menu for both. Last year I broke a cardinal rule and tried something new for a holiday meal. Needless to say I will not be doing that again EVER. Let’s just say that a fire in the oven is not the way to spend your Christmas . You can read about the Great Sticky Bun Disaster of Christmas 2011 here! Thankfully it was a small fire and put our in short order but I am sticking to what I know, foolproof, tested and tried is the order of the day. No surprises, culinarily speaking that is!

So what’s on your menu for Christmas day?

I am thinking maybe Shrimp and Grits, maybe an egg and sausage breakfast casserole, something sweet, muffins or cinnamon rolls and my maple Citrus salad. I think dinner will be a spiral sliced ham, maybe a potato casserole, something green, a tossed salad or broccoli casserole. If my Swiss Chard is replenished in the garden then I will serve that! Maybe some homemade apple sauce or cranberry sauce. However I am trying to decide if I will do my traditional Christmas cookies or veer from tradition and just have one sweet thing like a chocolate cheese cake. Normally I make several different kinds of cookies. Peanut Butter, Cranberry Christmas Cookies, Gingersnaps and Chocolate Chip. It’s a lot of different ingredients and a lot of work so I am waffling on if I will do this again this year. Not to mention my ability to refrain from snatching a cookie every time I walk by the plate is nearly non existent. No cookies no temptations….

Great questions this week Joyce!

Y’all head over to Joyce’s and link up for more WH fun!

Blessings

R

6 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

A Christmas Brunch sounds fantastic to me. And as for you typing out the lyrics to Rudolph...well done.

retired not tired said...

We used to do a Christmas brunch when the children were little. I had to avoid eggs so it wasn't always great. I used to like to start with fruit sprinkled with a little champagne and that was a big hit.

April said...

You can never go wrong with a Christmas brunch, in my opinion! I don't receive as many cards, anymore, as I send out. I do agree...folks are cutting back on those kinds of things.

Joyce said...

Ha-I'd love to get my hands on the budget too. I have no problem making cuts so our family budget balances. We always have some to put in savings too which would be a novel concept for our government!

Rebecca Jo said...

I think everyone has less cards anymore. Who can keep up with that much money for postage?!?!?!

Sammie said...

We do a christmas brunch at granddad's, but are never allowed to bring anything but ourselves. (it's a two hour drive) My mother in law is in charge of it this year and I caught wind she is making three types of breakfast queashes. I so misspelled that lol.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter