God's Word for Today

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Banana Pudding…YUM!

Sometime I get on a culinary tangent. Some weeks I am just inspired to get in the kitchen and then others my only desire is to slap some peanut butter on a piece of toast and call it a night.

With my success in the Reuben department I was on a roll. I also found myself with some ingredients that were in a time sensitive position!

Banana’s are one of my favorite fruits, however I seem to be the only one who eats them.

Last week I found myself with multiple banana’s that if not used that day would end up in the trash.

What to do….

IMG_0135

Banana Bread…..na to hot…..

I consulted the culinary expert in all things southern, my Paula Deen cookbooks and found just what I needed!

IMG_0006

Paula has the best recipe for Banana Pudding I have found, simple, classic and exactly what banana pudding should be!

IMG_0136

The recipe called for two cups of milk, all I had was skim milk so I off set the fat by adding an additional egg yolk to the recipe and it worked just fine. Not to mention that gave me four egg white for my meringue later on!

IMG_0137

While the pudding was cooling on the counter I had to make a run to the grocery store for Vanilla Wafers.

IMG_0138

Layering up the sliced bananas, cookies and cooled down pudding.

Can a banana pudding be assembled without snacking on a few vanilla wafers…the world me never know!

IMG_0139

It’s ready for the meringue!

IMG_0141

I’d call these stiff peaks wouldn’t you! I love a good meringue!

IMG_0140

Ready for the oven…I love making all the curly swirls on top!

IMG_0142

It took about 10 minutes in a hot oven, about 350 to 375 then in the last few minutes I cranked it up to 475!

IMG_0143

I know some folks like there banana pudding warm out of the oven, but I like a cold pudding! I let this one cool on the counter for a few minutes then it went straight into the refrigerator to cool completely.

It was so good y’all!

On a Be Still and Know “How hard Could It Be?” scale I have to give it a 6 maybe a 7. It was a bit on the labor intensive side. Making the pudding required constant stirring and then there is the time involved in allowing it to cool, then more steps with building the layers, whipping the meringue and then browning it off in the oven.

If you are looking for instant gratification then this is not the recipe for you!

If you want a taste of a traditional southern banana pudding then it is defiantly worth the extra effort.

I have made banana pudding before, but I have never made the pudding from scratch. The time it took, the few minutes upper arm workout standing at the stove stirring as it came together was worth it!!!

I can defiantly state that this will be making an appearance again real soon!

Click here for the full recipe, it’s a smidge different from the one in my cook book but for the most part it is the same!

 

Blessings

R

1 comment:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Just like my momma and grandmama used to make. It looks heavenly and I am sure it tasted that way too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love Paula Deen.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter