God's Word for Today

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The joy of being the mother of a teenager….or knowing when to keep your mouth shut!

We were driving home last night from church. We had a wonderful supper. I got to see my son and his family. Anytime I get to spend some time around the table with Muffinhead and crew is wonderful. The conversation after dinner was equally pleasant. It was a good night!

On the way home I had a moment of clarity. It was like the heavens parted and God filled up the car and said “Robin, Honey…you just need to let this one go! No matter what you say it is going to be WRONG and it is going in one 16 year old ear and right out the other!”

My experience with my son at 16 was very different. His interests leaned towards electric guitars, rock and roll, mayhem and basically doing the exact opposite of whatever we told him to do. He was a whirling dervish of rebellion and chaos all rolled into a handsome blonde curly head with devastating blue eyes.

Teenage girls are a different animal.

Our conversation on the way home went something like this. The names have been changed to protect the privacy and the integrity of all individuals involved, but I am sure there were similar conversations happening all over the world in similar mini vans with similar 16 year old girls.

“But MOM I know that Mary Jane wants me to help her! Why would Mary Jane say that (whatever Mary Jane said obviously motivated my daughter towards the role of matchmaker) if she didn’t want me to help her? I know that she really likes Bobby but she won’t say anything to him.”

“Well……bla bla bla bla bla….”

“But Mom, Mary Jane likes Bobby and Bobby likes me and I like Billy and I don’t know if Billy likes me and Bobby keeps NOT taking the hint that I don't like him and I want him to like Mary Jane and how can I get Billy to ask me out!”

“Well Dear, bla bla bla bla bla…..”

“Mom how can you say that! You don't know Mary Jane like I know Mary Jane!”

“OK, well what about bla bla bla bla bla!”

“OMG MOM! That will never work…..”

Can y’all say teenage drama!

It was a whirl of romantic entanglements and unrequited love! After all was said and done the DD came to the conclusion that boys are just dumb!

The one piece of advice that I think she actually did hear, “Sweetie, Just remember cute boys are a dime a dozen but best friends are hard to come by.”

Blessings

R

PS: Two random and completely unrelated thoughts…..

1. I made more chicken salad with red grapes yesterday and it was really good!

2. I am going to see “The Help” with my small group tonight.

2 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

poor M* is having trbls...
and girlz talk, talk, talk.
the faster the better, hahahahah!

Kathleen said...

I recognize the femaleness of this drama! Having had but one daughter & two sons, I can verify the universality of the dialogue. At 40, she sometimes STILL rolls her eyeballs at me :)

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter