God's Word for Today

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Random Dozen

1. What is one really fast, know-by-heart "go-to" meal to fix in a pinch?

I usually have all the ingredients to fix either chili or spaghetti in my pantry at all times. That’s practically a no brainer. Pancakes are another quick fix at my house a little flour, eggs, buttermilk, a pinch of that and a dash of this and you’re done, I can always manage to toss any leftovers in a pot with a few cans of chicken or beef stock and off set with some other pantry ingredient for a big ol pot of soup.

Having a well stocked panty is the key! When I am running low on canned good like chicken stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes with green chilies, green chilies, roasted red peppers, beans, rice, pasta, egg noodles, condensed soup it’s time to go the the grocery store. Plus I try to keep on hand onion, celery, carrots and garlic.

Another super quick meal is to take pork medallions and season both sides well with salt and pepper. Slice one large onion or two small onions. Chop several cloves of garlic. Sauté the onions in a large skillet for several minutes then add the garlic. Add the pork chops in the pan sear well on one side for about 4 minutes. Turn and cook off for another two to three minutes. Remove the pork chops from the pan and continue cooking the onions until tender and caramelized for about two minutes. Finish off with a bout a 1/4 cup dry sherry and 1 or two tablespoons of real butter. Stir together until thick and bubble, make sure you get all the good brown bits off the bottom of the pan, fancy cooking term is deglazing the pan, and then add the pork chops back to the pan for just a minute and then serve over rice or egg noodles. If ya want to send it right over the edge then add a few tablespoons of half and half at the end with the butter. Serve with some stemmed veggies or a side salad and your done in under 20 minutes!


2. What is one item you won't leave home without. (Purse and license do not count.)

Probably my cell phone, it is usually at arms length most of the time.


3. Where is one place you never tire of visiting?

The beach! Give me a comfy lounge chair, a big umbrella, a good book and I’m good, real good!


4. Share one factoid of your family's history.

Young Jean Grandma 2002

My grandmother worked in the kitchen at Ohio State University, she and her staff were in charge of preparing all the meals for the student body every day. She also worked for a fancy shmancy catering company and would work lost of fancy parties. I used to love to hear all the stories of all the mishaps and how they would pull a near kitchen disaster out of the fire with miraculous quick fixes.


5. Complete this sentence:

"Once upon a time me, Half Pint, Ma and Pa came across the wilderness in a covered wagon and built a little  house on the prairie….oh wait that was a television show"


6. If you could win a one year's supply of anything, what would it be?

Toilet Paper or Coffee Creamer. These are the only two absolutely must haves in our house!


7. "One quirky thing you may not know about me is I like to separate my M & Ms, Jelly Beans or any candy that is different colors in to small piles according to color. You must eat all one colored then move on the the next color, preferably in descending order from least to greatest. It’s a rule!"


8. You have one dollar in your pocket. What will you buy?

Wouldn’t it be great if you could get a cup of coffee for a buck!


9. "One thing that always makes me laugh is The Carol Burnett Show, an episode of MASH, The Andy Griffith Show, Guam and the absurdities of life in general. "

“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.”

—Dame Edna Everage

“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.

e e cummings (1894 – 1962)


10. What is one thing you could do today to help yourself reach a personal goal ?

Regular Exercise, it’s so easy to let this one slide! I’ll do it later turns in to tomorrow and then tomorrow turns into next week and then before you know it you cant remember how long it has been since you made it down to the work out room.


11. What is one thing you could do today to bless someone else?

Remember to treat everyone the way Jesus would!


12. What is one thing you're looking forward to soon?

My husband coming home and watching the last half of Lost.

These two things go hand in had. You see my husband has been out of town for almost a month now on a extended business trip. His schedule is very busy and there are some days when he simply does not have time to call home. Well it had been a few days since I had talked to him. I had settle down to watch the next to the last episode of Lost and the phone rings. Caller ID is a good thing and a bad thing and DVR’s are an ever better thing!

Yes you guessed it, the hubs calls right in the middle of LOST.

Love trumps Lost.

I tried to watch and talk at the same time but it became very clear real quick that having a conversation while watching Lost is a talent that I no longer have. I made the ultimate sacrifice and turned the television off and finished my conversation with my husband.

So I am looking forward to my husband coming IREALLY MISS HIM!!!! home week after next and I am looking forward to watching LOST as soon as I hit the publish button!

THE…END…IS…NEAR!

Blessings

R

For more Random Dozen head over to 2nd Cup of Coffee and check it out!

7 comments:

Merrie said...

Fun list! I also separate my colored candy and eat that way! My kids make fun of me because I am always concerned that we will run out of toilet paper...
Great post!
Blessings!

Rebecca Jo said...

Love the picture of your grandmother!!!! How beautiful!

Oh my - I've never seen MASH or Andy Griffin... I must be missing out!

Joyce said...

What wonderful pictures!

My bil separates his food on his plate...he eats all of one thing before moving on to the next. it is a little quirky : )

Mocha with Linda said...

My girl sorts her M&Ms too. I'm not that patient. Straight into the mouth they go!

For #2, I'm surprised Lid didn't eliminate cell phones as an answer along with purse and license!

And your Little House answer made me laugh! Oh how I loved those books when I was growing up, and then the show as well!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Great answers. I just love to see what everyone said. Now I must go and see what those candy corn are all about. I collect them!

Sarah said...

I sort my candy too and definitely take stock of which one has the most!

Nel said...

What a fun list! I wish I hadn't missed it this week.

Just wanted to let you know you have an award over by me.

until next time... nel

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter