God's Word for Today

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"dyed in the wool"

I'm a bit of a word junkie. I love finding out where expressions come from and their origins. As I was working on yesterday post I began to wonder about the expression "dyed in the wool

Here is what I found:

The expression "dyed in the wool" refers to a state of steadfastness, especially with respect to one's politicalreligious or social beliefs. The expression comes from the fact that fabric can be dyed in a number of ways. The woven fabric may be dyed after it is complete, or the threads may be dyed before they are woven. When a color is "dyed in the wool," the wool itself is dyed before being spun into threads, so the colour is least likely to fade or change.

Dyed in the wool first appeared in the 16th century as a metaphorical expression.

Blessings
Robin

4 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

Ha! I have often wondered where that came from! Now you have saved me from my own research. Laziness pays off sometimes. LOL

Kathleen said...

Oooo, this is just my kind of word picture! Being a fellow-junkie, I find the substance and source of ideas truly fascinating.

Not only "dyed in the wool", but spun gold we are!

Kathleen

Terri Tiffany said...

I love your verse for the day! A good one to always keep in mind. Thank you for your encouragement again!

Greg C said...

I was a died in the wool General Hospital fan for years. Now I know what that meant.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter