God's Word for Today

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Kool-Aide Disaster of “O8”

There are some mornings that it simply does not pay to get out of bed, there are also some evenings where it does not pay to be thirsty. Having these two situations colliding within the span of seven hours is what we will now refer to for future reference as “The Kool-Aide Disaster of 08”


The alarm had been set to snooze for the next few moments and I quietly lay in bed letting my morning come awake slowly. I rolled over and stretched. I was strategically awaiting the flip of the light switch in the living room before I would get up, so as not to disturb my husband as he begins his mornings with a word of prayer in the quite darkness of the living room. I looked at the clock and it is 6:25 A.M. Just a few more wonderful moments and then the day and reality will begin. My bed is warm, I actually slept all night, I did not wake up with a headache and I did not have to go to work this morning as it was my day off. Yaaa for me!


The next sound I hear is a knocking over of something, whispered expletive and the lamp on the end table in the living room noisily clunking into the wall and vibrating into my quiet dark bedroom. More whispered expletives, more clunking around and then it dawns on me.


In those dark moments I am weighing my options, do I get out of bed and suffer my husband’s wrath for having knocked over the left over glass of cherry kool-aide, or do I remain in bed and pretend to be blissfully asleep.


More crashing, more shuffling, more bumping and more expletives….it was now becoming very obvious that I could no longer feign being asleep. I got out of bed and put my bathrobe on and walked in to the glaring light of the living room.


My husband is on his knees with a rag madly dabbing at the carpet and to my horror the large magazine rack holding all of my devotional and reading materials had taken the full baptism of the cherry kool-aid.


My husband being the first responder to this disaster was in the throws of post traumatic shock at the sight of the sticky red cherry kool-aide, which was no seeping into the pages and down the spines of multiple hardback books as well as a few paperbacks and is now sloshing around in the bottom of the magazine rack


We work in silence side by side on our knees sopping up the red mess.



Thankfully, depending on whose perspective you choose to view this disaster from the majority of the bright red cherry mess landed all over my books and only a very small few drops splashed upon the beige (yes beige) carper in my living room.


The growing stack of kool-aide damaged literature begins to spread out on my kitchen counter like a red tide on the gulf coast. I am washing down book spines and removing book jackets and pulling out soaked book marks, fanning them out in a vain attempt to salvage what I can.




Needless to say this kool-aide tainted incident left more that the residual pink stickiness all over my books it also made a wonderful start to my day, and all this before even the first cup of coffee!


As my husband was pulling out of the driveway I was regretfully (well maybe not so regretfully) pouring the remainder of the offending cherry kool-aide down the kitchen sink and placing the half full plastic carton of powdered mix in the trash as well.


This sad traumatic red stained day will be recorded in history as the day that cherry kool-aide was officially banned from the face of the planet, or at least from our household and defiantly from my grocery list for the foreseeable future.

4 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

dare I say it, "they do look pretty in pink!" ... sorry.

go read your email...

Kathleen said...

You just gotta love those first responders!

Paula V said...

oh my. All I can say is I hope you like pink.

:-)

God Chaser said...

I have tagged you at my site.

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter