God's Word for Today

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Temple of Doom to Hee Haw

Today is the first day of summer vacation, my blossoming new teenager is sleeping late, I am remembering my wedding day some 26 years ago, there is a thin layer of dust on the hardwood floors in my sunroom, several stacks of folded towels waiting to be put away in the middle of my living room floor and I am listening to the birds outside as I compose this post.

I am not sure that I have anything deep to share with you this morning, but in an effort to avoid the dust and the towels (or wake my child) I will forge ahead.

I have moments when things are so very clear, when I feel that the words just come and a miracle happens and they actually make sense.

Quite possibly this in not one of these moments.

Today what comes to my mind is my quiet time. I know I am not alone in my struggle to stay focused during my prayer time, however lately I have found it increasingly difficult to block out the invading thoughts. I will be settled in to pray and then my grocery list will be scrolling through my thoughts which will then lead to another random thought and on and on and on.

It is amazing to me the intricacies of our thought patterns. How one thought triggers another and before you know it you are in a completely different place than you intended.

I always try to find the dots of connection.

How did I get to this new place, what lead me here?

Then I apologize to the Lord and resume my prayer.

I read a book once where a monk described this as “Monkey Brain” well I can consider myself diagnosed with an official case of “Monkey Brain.”

Now what was I saying?????????????????????????????

Talk about a random thought, remember the dinner scene from ‘Indiana Jones and the temple of Doom” where they were served all theses terrible and disgusting things, giant bugs, live snakes, eyeball soup and they saved the best for last, chilled monkey brains.

I hope everyone has had their breakfast.

Now I am thinking about the television show Hee Haw.............................

Temple of Doom to what rhymes with doom........................................

Can you hear the catchy tune in your head?

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck,
I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Somebody stop me.

How does God put up with my frail weakness, how can He patiently weed through all the miscellaneous junk going on in my head as see what is really there.

But He always does!

I praise Him for moments of clarity.

I praise Him for giving me the persistence to keep making that daily connection with Him no matter how many times I have to refocus and redirect.

I praise Him for the great mysteries that the human body and brain are.

He created the imagination and our thought processes.

He gave us the creative abilities and He instilled in us the wiring that allows our brains to leap from “The Temple of Doom to Hee Haw.”

I am not sure if that is a creative ability or just a sign of old age, maybe both??

PS 139:13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

5 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

I just watched that scene a few days ago...I cringe the most when she reaches into the bug-filled hole in the wall to free Indy from being crushed, centipedes and long-legged crawly things making their way up her arm and under her hair toward her neck!!!! AAAAAUUUUGGGHH, I remember drawing my feet up in the movie theatre paranoid that something was going to crawl up me in the dark. ~:0

I used to watch Hee Haw with my Daddy...he would laugh out loud to their silly jokes and quick one liners...but you NEVER heard a bad word. What a comforting memory.

We're recuperating from wisdom teeth surgery, so maybe we'll watch some OLD STUFF of the tube while we prop ice bags on my "new driver's" cheeks?!

Paula V said...

I'm glad to hear someone else struggles with focus and concentration. I try to pray while I'm in the shower and also getting ready (drying my hair that is.) Goodness gracious, I could never pray during fixing my hair and applying makeup up. Who knows what my face/hair would look like or who knows what I'd be asking of the Lord or telling Him.

However, I make it a goal to use the time of the shower and blow dryer to ponder on the Lord, pray to Him. I find myself saying to myself "now you're suppose to be praying. Focus now!"

Thanks for sharing your shortcomings that I'm sure we all have. I mean we all have short comings but most problem deal with lack of focus or wondering mind at times.
Paula

Mezzo Forte said...

Girl - right now, I have the attention span of a flea! That's one reason I haven't been bloggin! I can't think AT ALL - very frustrating...

Oh look, a cookie...see what I mean?

Maybe after tomorrow (my last day of work for the summer) I can focus.

Man, I so fat...ups, there I go again. Speaking of fat...perhaps I can focus on getting back on the weigh loss wagon. Perhaps it'll come back through my neighborhood.

Saaaaaaa-lute!!!! I lurve me some Heeeeeeeeeeeee -Haaawwww...hee, hee, hee, haw, haw, haw (remember that part?

Cyndy said...

I too struggle with focusing...my mind wanders to what I have to do today, what we're going to have for dinner, how am I ever going to motivate myself to lose this five pounds I want off, are they having a sale on meat at the grocery store...oh, sorry...what was I saying?

godlover said...

I think we all struggle with concentration and prayer. Rather than try to pull out a time slot for my prayers (it never worked) I went to trying to live my life as a prayer unto the Lord. When I'm doing the dishes, I'm doing them unto the Lord. When I'm vacuuming my carpets, I'm doing it unto the Lord. I have nothing but free time since I don't have children at home and you'd think pulling out a few minutes wouldn't be all that big a deal. I mean, what else do I have to do, right? Wrong. I think it's even harder. I have been journaling for the past 7 month (almost 8 now) and that has proved to be an incredible blessing for me. Once I got into the habit of doing it I don't go to bed until I have spent my hour in my prayer journal. During the day I do as many Bible studies as I can fit in. I also blog about every other day and, oh yeah, and I do a little housework when the mood strikes me. LOL. I found your blog from someone else's blog that I got from someone else's blog, going link to link to link. It's fun to read different blogs but I'm afraid my own blogs must be boring to people because I never get a comment, well, almost never. Thanks for letting me check out your blog. I'll probably be back in the future.

Marj
http://gdlvr.blogspot.com

All Rights Reserved

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Christian Women Online

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Site Meter